I Bought a New EP.

 I had said I would stop writing about music, and to a great extent, I have. I no longer review music or interview artists, as I have found that people hold it so dearly that it rarely matters what anyone has to say. Things like being objectively good don't matter, and I think that goes for all art. All art is beloved by someone. Good or bad, it can be charming and entertaining without necessarily having any merit.

None of this has anything to do with this EP, I'm just re-introducing myself to writing about other artists with this preface. I don't want to act like I'm some authority on what bad or good means. I'm just enjoying things and wanted to remind people that it's okay not to take yourself too seriously.

With that said, I recently acquired Petit Brabancon's new EP, AUTOMATA, and I wanted to talk about my experience with it. I have been a fan of Kyo in DIR EN GREY since 2002 and continue to follow his work as well as the work of the rest of the members in most of their endeavors. As I mentioned, some things are simply beloved. I personally don't mind anyone who dislikes those things, of course, unless they tell me how much they dislike it solely as a form of antagonization.

Without further preamble, I would like to introduce this EP. It had unique packaging that allowed for wall mounting without anything extra or heavy. I took my CD out in fear it might fall, though. It even had the texture of a canvas painting, so it looks quite nice on the wall.






Here were my notes for the live portion of the EP:

Everyone looks great, and I like Antz' hair.

The set and the orange colors really suit the vibe and I enjoy it. We typically see the same blue-ish colors so for them to be offset by an opposing color that isn't the typical pink-ish gives an inherent energy to the set.

I was surprised because I felt that "Come to a Screaming Halt" should be 3/4ths through the live and I wouldn’t put "Isolated Spiral" first; I would put something with a little more energy. However, as the live went on, at least the selection of it that was included in this EP, I don't see another place where they could have put it.

It ended up being one of my favorite songs, but I wouldn't like them to do a lot of slow songs like this. I think it's better because it stands out more as a respite.

Some of Kyo’s yelling vocalizations (not screaming) were reminiscent of old punk and I like them. This happens in the beginning and during "非人間、独白に在らず" and I expected a megaphone siren to show up. Hehe~

I think it would be cool to lean into that more “normal” side. Kyo’s vocals are always so impressive and extreme but it would be cool to hear him more natural and human. I wonder if it’s easier on his voice.

Miya in 渇き playing to the camera was really cute

Loved Kyo’s little jig in "Come to a Screaming Halt" but he PERFORMS this song very strongly.

Some of the camera angles and visual direction are a little corny but it’s not unacceptable it’s just a little silly and a little too on the nose of the genre.

Miya brought his guitar to his mouth before "非人間、独白に在らず" and it looked like he was smelling it or drinking blood.

Despite feeling screaming halt was early, it was a good follow-up. Kyo did the Kyo thing. (See ranunculus and oboro). More yelling.

"I kill myself" is where Kyo starts to get bloody and his makeup is smeared down his face and he’s giving a lot of attitude with the song and it’s really really great. I’m so sad it’s nearly the end.

I would like to see more member interactions, but I would always like to see those and I know I’m not alone. Even among other members that aren’t Kyo it would be nice, but my favorite is when Miya and Kyo dance around one another. I need to see them stomp around together!! There were still some nice points in this category.

This is when I realize that I’m hearing one of the new songs for the first time! "Miserable"! It reminds me of being a kid. Something about the composition is so nostalgic. I really really enjoyed it.

"Don’t forget" is a perfect song to end on. No complaints there. Everyone seemed totally into it which makes it better.

Everyone was fun to watch.

As for the audio portion, I found that I am still listening to it with a kind of intrigue. There are many portions that I'm not sure how I feel about yet. I really liked "Loser" and "Miserable" as well as the new single song "孤動". "Surely" is a little strange and repetitive. I'm not sure I expected it on something like this, but I really like the song as a whole and the clean vocals.

In fact, when this band was announced, I wasn't sure if it was really for me. It didn't have the same stylish feeling that I had come to love.

After these two releases, I'm quite pleased to add them to my list.

I would be happy if they continued in a direction like this.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Chinese Shock Artist That Inspired Rumors of Baby-Eating: Zhu Yu [Extreme Content Warning]

Cocktails by Endo: Fuck His Dad

About Ophelia